Tuesday, July 28, 2009

37 weeks and progressing

I am updating now on Tuesdays because those are the days I will have news about my progress. I am now on to weekly appointments! Woot! Today Dr. Hardas was all in my business and said that the she felt the head, my cervix is soft and I was finger tip dilated. I could be this way for several more weeks, but I see it as progress because I am optimistic like that. I feel great, but moving is challenging. My hips and pelvic area have some serious issues, but nothing I can't handle.




Here is how Charlie is growing...


Your doctor may check for labor signs, while your baby prepares for birth by sucking, turning, and breathing in the womb. Congratulations! You've got what is officially considered a full term baby, even with three weeks to go. That doesn't mean he's finished growing — in fact, he's still packing on about a half pound a week (at this age, the average fetus weighs about 6.5 pounds). Right now, your little superstar is busy rehearsing for his big debut, inhaling and exhaling amniotic fluid (to get the lungs ready for that first breath), sucking his thumb (to prepare for that first suckle of milk), blinking, and turning from side to side. Meanwhile, your body is going through its own preparations as your practitioner starts looking for signs of labor. On the checklist: the baby's position in relation to your pelvis (engagement) and whether effacement (thinning of the cervix) and dilation (opening of the cervix) have begun. Your practitioner may also determine whether your cervix has begun to soften and move to the front of the vagina, another indication that labor is getting closer. Keep in mind that these processes can occur gradually, over a period of weeks or even a month or more in some women — and overnight in others. So while they're clues that you're indeed progressing, they're far from sure bets when it comes to pinpointing the actual start of labor.

3 comments:

Naomi said...

I remember the pain in the hips...just means you are closing in on the home stretch! Woo Hoo!! Your last posting made me laugh pretty hard at one of the many nightly feeding Cabot had last night!! Thanks for that!
Can you believe that we made it? I know for me I just never thought it would be true and here I am on the floor in my living room with my baby...singing and playing mimic with him! I can't wait to see pictures of Charlie!!

Unknown said...

Do you feel prepared for the birth yet? I just had my first baby, a little boy called Marlow, such a great experience. Have you thought about names yet? http://www.bounty.com/babynames/ is a great place to search as you can look by origin and meaning!. Love the blog - I really hope things go well for you hun! xxxx

Anonymous said...

He felt the head---- We could be meeting Charlie soon! Wooohoooo! SO excited for you BFF.