Monday, June 29, 2009

Another week closer...

Today marks week 33 and we are another week closer to meeting Charlie! There is still so much to do, but unfortunately since summer break has hit, I have lost all sense of urgency and so not much is getting accomplished...

Some good things...

-Doctor visits are going well. I go every other week now and everything is looking great. I hope she has us get one more ultrasound before I deliver because I would really like to see Charlie again soon.

-Summer is awesome because I get to see my nephews so much. I love those two and it is hard to imagine that I will love our Charlie even more. I am so thankful that my sisters-in-law let me borrow their boys for baby time so much. They just melt my heart.

-My classroom was the first to be cleaned this year so I have the rest of the summer to set it up and prepare it for the substitute next year.

-Next week Tony and I are planning one last little get away before Charlie arrives. We'll be going to Toronto to celebrate our third anniversary (July 8th) and tour the town. If I go early our little guy will be part Canadian!

Some not so good things...

-In two words... Maternity Leave... This is such a PITA! I am not eligible for the FMLA 12 week leave because my school is not recognizing my spring internship hours. I am therefore ineligible for the benefit because the amount of hours I worked within the last year does not add up to 1250. My district will give me my medical benefits for 6 or 8 weeks depending on the type of delivery I have, but I must return to work after that time unless I choose to take the semester off. If I choose to take the semester off, I would have to pay for my medical benefits which is $1200/month making this choice nearly impossible.
Lost yet?
Yeah...
Me too...
So I consulted with a lawyer who informed me that that all of this legitimate practice and I am of course devastated at the thought of leaving my 1.5 month old at day care when I return to work... I have no clue how this is going to play out and I am so stressed about all of it... Technicalities are fucking bullshit...

Anyways... Now that you are all caught up in my life in general... Here is some information on Charlie at 33 weeks!

Starting at about week 26, your baby has slept and awoken at regular intervals. He closes his eyes when he sleeps, and he'll even dream during the last month before birth. No one knows what babies dream about in the womb, but they show reactions ranging from frowns and smiles to crying and kicking. Asleep or awake, you may feel the kicks in a new place around now--in your rib cage, just below your breasts--as he moves into the head-down position where he'll probably stay until birth.
Speaking of sleep, rest may be elusive by this point. Insomnia is common during the last trimester, and what sleep you do get will be interrupted by frequent trips to the bathroom. Hemorrhoids, heartburn, reflux (which feels like your food is coming up again), lower back pain, and swollen feet are among the commonest complaints. Many women find that it helps to eat small, frequent meals instead of large ones; use extra pillows to support belly and back; and sleep alone if your partner's tossing and turning (or snoring) wakes you up just as you're drifting off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yea... Only 7 more weeks until we meet Charlie! :) Love ya BFF

~S